Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Vietnam War

I watched the movie "Hamburger Hill" and there was a scene that greatly disturbed me.
Towards the end, there is a young man blinded with an blood drenched cloth wrapped around his face, covering up his obviously destroyed eyes.
He is reaching out but no one goes to help him.

And I was just thinking about how Vietnam Vets were spat on when they came back to their country.

Makes me very sad and disgusted with humanity in general.

Don't get me wrong. The '60's was a fantastic era with it's introduction to being healthier, great music, introduction to nature based paganism and spiritualism, and the idea of being free and not caring about society's rigid implemented social "norms". Basically a big fuck you to anything negative. The 60's seemed to be about embracing positivity.

But this is one thing I cannot agree with and that is spitting on a veteran of any war.

These guys saw hell.
They saw their fellow soldiers being hit by shrapnel, torn apart by bullets, and god knows what else.

So why would you spit on them or call them "murderers"?

I really hope that we are different today.
I hope we would respect our soldiers out there fighting insurgents and terrorists in Iraq.
They're already suffering enough.

Personally, I just wish they'd withdraw the troops from Iraq.
I don't want any more of our soldiers dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment