Thursday, June 24, 2010

I.Q. Tests are..................BULLSHIT!

I've always ranted on I.Q. tests and how they are utilized to measure your level of education rather than your actual intelligence. Plus, the theorist Lewis Terman has always made my blood boil with pure anger. But I am a great hypocrite for I took an I.Q. test. My score was 149.

Now here is the shocker: It said my strong point was math! Ha! Me? Strong in arithmetic? How peculiar! I suck at mathematics and I always have. I was classified as "learning disabled" in math and science. (I do a lot of research though on molecular collisions so I'm improving in the science area. I just have a tendency to discard logic in favor of compassion so if that makes me weak in the right hemisphere of my dear encephalon nestled in my cranium, so be it!)

But I find it extremely humorous that I did well in arithmetic! Math is not a favored subject of mine, allow me to tell you that! Ironically, I bombed it all throughout middle school. It was as though math was this large shadow looming over me which I detested with a passion. And yet according to this I.Q. test, I excel at it! How funny is that! But in all seriousness, even the mention of the word "math" alone makes me feel as though I've been stabbed in the stomach with a rusty blade. Arithmetic frightens me. Algebra, calculus, fractions, division......the mere mention of these causes me to feel nauseous and as though I'm going to faint. Science frightened me in the past as well. But maybe that whole high school version of me is completely gone now. I eagerly print out papers on the study of molecules, atoms, compounds, and electrons now. Seven years ago, I would have cried just gazing upon the paper. Every time in middle school when that dreaded evil gold bell rang, I shuddered knowing it was time for science class. My teacher was a fierce, evil looking man with hard cold gray eyes. I felt like a trapped insect in his class. Almost like a beetle in a Venus flytrap, in fact. The prospect of being near this man scared the living daylights out of me. That intimidating authoritarian figure is no longer associated with the word "science" in my mind. I think I know that I'm becoming even more mature because I know how to disregard things I used to fear. I am no longer that shy husk of a little girl I was that Amesbury High school knew. They knew me as the scared girl, my vulnerabilites layed out on me like intestines after a vivisection. But at twenty two years of age and in this glorious month of October, I know that the past is only fragments of what used to be and I know to live in the now. I have matured and the I.Q. test only measured what I was taught.

1 comment:

  1. I think IQ tests measure where you stand in certain skills, I don't think they only measure what you are taught. It's obvious you're not the girl you were in high school, you have grown your skills in certain areas and the test affirmed that. The conclusion you derive from it doesn't make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete